Catechists, Assistants and room volunteers 2017
“The vocation of the laity to catechesis springs from the Sacrament of Baptism. It is strengthened by the Sacrament of Confirmation…The Lord Jesus invites men and women, in a special way, to follow Him, teacher and formator of disciples. This personal call of Jesus Christ and its relationship to him are the true moving forces of catechetical activity. ‘From this loving knowledge of Christ springs the desire to proclaim Him, to ‘evangelize,’ and to lead others to the ‘Yes’ of faith in Jesus Christ’” (General Directory for Catechesis 231; Catechism of the Catholic Church 429)
At Saint Bede Catholic Church we recognize that the mission to catechize has been given to us by the Lord Himself: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations…” (Matthew 28:19) This mission of catechesis is both a gift and a responsibility. It is a gift because we have been chosen by Christ to proclaim the gospel to the next generation: “You have not chosen me, but I chose you…” (John 15:16) It is also a grave responsibility because we have been sent by Christ to be His envoy, to hand on the Faith that comes to us from the Apostles: “As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” (John 20:21) To fulfill this mission, catechists should fulfill the basic requirements below:
- Be a Catholic who has received all of the Sacraments of Initiation and is in full communion with the Church.
- Live an upright life in keeping with the Catholic Faith that we believe and profess.
- Participate in the sacramental life of the Church including attendance at Sunday Mass and Masses of obligation and regularly celebrating the Sacrament of Confession.
- Strive for holiness and a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ through daily prayer.
- Register and complete the Pathways catechist training program (This consists of a one day, eight hour session). * Next Pathways Diocese training will be held HERE at St. Bede on Saturday, April 22! To register go online to http://tinyurl.com/pathwaystraining.
- Complete background check and volunteer select form through the Diocese of Richmond.
- Complete the Virtus certification program (This consists in a one time, 2-3 hour session).
- Attend scheduled parish catechist meetings throughout the year (These are held mostly during the Summer and 3-4 times during the school year).
- Be able to attend the scheduled class dates (Classes run from September through the end of April).
If you are interested in serving as a Catechist, Classroom Asst., or volunteering with our CFF program (Pre-K-8) in any capacity, please contact Rita Hipple, Children's Faith Formation Coordinator at email@example.com or at at 757-229-3636, ext. 2303 for more information.
Full time teaching catechists’ children receive free tuition and enrollment.